Development Gateway (DG) is an international nonprofit organization that creates innovative information management and data visualization technology, implements data-focused programs, and conducts research and evaluation to further sustainable development: www.developmentgateway.org
Agriculture is a growing strategic focus for DG. We support public and private sector actors in collecting, analyzing and using data in the agriculture sector. Our partners in this work include The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the Governments of Malawi and Senegal, USAID, and the Hewlett Foundation.
We are a creative and dynamic group of people based around the globe. We value hard work, innovative thinking, a commitment to teamwork, and a good sense of humor.
For this position, the Senior Associate will be based in Accra, Ghana.
Applicants must have authorization to live and work in Ghana.
The Elevator Pitch
DG is pleased to announce a partnership with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation on the implementation of a four-year program to improve, manage, and visualize fertilizer data in Africa. Visualizing Insights on Fertilizer for African Agriculture (VIFAA) will aim to fill key fertilizer information gaps, increase data-driven policy and investment decisions in the fertilizer sector, and ultimately result in comprehensive, user-centered fertilizer data dashboards that meet the analytical needs of diverse stakeholders and will become integrated into existing decision-making processes.
The Senior Associate is responsible for coordinating the VIFAA project in Ghana, including managing stakeholder relationships and leading progress on project/technical implementations. The role may also include supporting DG’s other work focused on assessing the needs of actors in the agriculture data chain and providing user-focused tools for management of agriculture data.
Our projects include (i) implementations of data management, visualization and dissemination tools, (ii) related data management and analysis services, (iii) technical training, and (iv) applied research on how data and technology influence development. In this role, you will manage partners and projects, support product innovation, and lead assessments of systems and user needs.
A wide degree of creativity, latitude and responsibility is expected, along with domestic and potentially international travel.
The Work You Get to Do
Project Management and Implementation
• Works closely with clients, partners and technical staff to ensure that project benchmarks are met on time, within budget, and done to client satisfaction.
• Responsible for conceptual design and integration of relevant technologies, research, planning, and testing of applications.
• Leads and defines business processes/rules, user stories, test cases, and user interface prototypes.
• Design and conduct qualitative research, assessments, and data analysis of public and private agriculture data in government ministries and across the fertilizer data value chain Documentation and Training
• Collects, documents and maintains new requirements for IT systems that manage data for government and international organization decision-makers.
• Leads training sessions with clients and partners.
• Provides support and documentation for improving and creating clear data management processes. Conducts system testing and follow-up with IT team.
The Education and Experience You Have and We Need
• Fluency in English required. Additional languages (particularly French) a plus.
• Must have experience engaging with ministries of agriculture (preferred) and/or the private sector to work with agriculture data
• Familiarity with key agriculture data sources (e.g. FAO Country Stat, Ministries of Agriculture, CGIAR, etc.) and data standards.
• Experience working in the fertilizer sector preferred.
• Overseas experience required.
• Master’s degree preferred. • 5+ years of direct technical and management experience.
How To Apply
To apply, please send a CV and cover letter to email@example.com. Please include “Agriculture Senior Associate – Ghana” in the subject line. Only applicants authorized to work in Ghana should apply